Plants That Will Clean The Air Of Toxins In Only 6 Hours
We know that some plants purify the air more than others, but you also need to know how many plants are sufficient in the room for the air to be cleansed of toxins and mold, which are harmful to health.
It is not just “old wives’ tales,” but NASA came to this conclusion after studying domestic plants. They found that some species filter the air better and remove volatile organic compounds better than others.
NASA says you should have between 15 and 18 of these plants in an area of 500 square meters. Thus, for an area of 80m², 3 to 4 plants are enough. Do not forget one of the plants to put in your bedroom because you spend a lot of time there.
Top six plants which are good to have at home:
- Aloe – it is excellent in raising the level of oxygen in the home. Also, it was found to absorb the formaldehyde, carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide very effectively. One Aloe plant achieves the same as nine biological air purifiers.
- Spider plant (Chlorophytum Comosum) – is able to do photosynthesis under minimal light. It is excellent in absorbing toxins from the air such as formaldehyde, styrene, and carbon monoxide, and benzene. One herb effectively purifies air in the space of 200 square meters.
- Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum “Mauna Loa”) – removes chemical toxins from the air extremely well. This homemade herb filters benzene from the air as well as formaldehyde and Trykloretylen.
- Ivy (Hedera Helix) – this herb should definitely be in everyone’s home. The ivy removes 60 percent of the toxins in the air and 58 percent of the particles of faeces in only six hours standing in the room.
- Snake plant/ Mother-in-law’s tongue (Sansevieria Trifasciata “Laurentii”) – an ideal home herb, almost indestructible. It is very resistant and need very little light for photosynthesis. Although it removes toxins, it’s great for the bedroom because it produces oxygen at night.
- Ficus (Ficus Elastica) – it is particularly effective in cleaning the air of formaldehyde. Also, it does not need a lot of light and is easy to grow. But beware if you have small children or pets because the leaves can be poisonous.