The thyroid gland is located at the base of your neck. This butterfly-shaped organ releases hormones that act throughout the body regulating growth, development, metabolism and body temperature. The function of the thyroid depends mostly on two minerals, manganese, and iodine, out of which iodine is essential for the proper thyroid function.
We have a simple and easy test which will show if your body has sufficient iodine to keep thyroid secretion in check or it is getting an insufficient amount of it.
You should paint a postage size stamp on the inside of your wrist, using an iodine tincture. If the stain fades in 24 hours this indicates that there is an insufficient amount of iodine to normalize the thyroid secretion. In the case you are already taking thyroid medication, your body will not be able to use it properly by the lack of iodine. There are many options available at the drugstores, so always buy the original colored solution, not the clear solution
Iodine patch test instructions
- It is recommended to do the test in the morning after taking a shower.
- You should paint a postage square size stamp on the inside of the wrist and remember the time of printing.
- Observe the patch color over the next 24 hours.
Interpreting iodine patch test results
- Normal: After 24 hours the patch begins to slightly lighten
- Mild: The patch disappears in 18 to 24 hours
- Moderate: The patch disappears or almost disappears in 12 to 18 hours
- Serious: The patch disappears in 6 to 12 hours
- Very serious: The patch disappears or almost disappears in under 6 hours
You should repeat the test every 1-2 weeks so you can observe the amount of iodine. When the patch shows normal iodine amounts, you should adjust iodine dose correspondingly.
If you want, you can take iodine in Standard Process and Medi Herb supplements:
- Min Tran -- 50mcg
- Min-Chex -- 300mcg
- Organically Bound Minerals -- 250mcg
- Prolamine Iodine -- 3mg
- Thyroid Complex (MH) -- 600mcg
- Cataplex F (tablets) -- 95mcg
- Trace Minerals B12 -- 145mcg
- Iodomere -- 200 mcg
Note: Before taking these supplements, you should consult your doctor!
Source: Best Healthy Guide