How to Make Your Own All-Natural Yogurt in 7 Easy Steps
Healthy dietary habits and proper nutrition are the pillars of a healthy society. Modern lifestyle has pushed people into snacking bad food and stuffing themselves with empty calories. Work on your eating habits, and you will get a step closer to the healthy version of you.
When it comes to foods, yoghurt is an absolute favorite, of course if it is the real thing. Yoghurt is an amazing source of protein, your digestive tract likes it, and it is full-packed with probiotics that strengthen the immune system. Can you imagine making your own yoghurt? In the comfort of your home? It is quite possible, and we will give you a hand on that one. Moreover, you can make any flavor, and you will always have a healthy product in your fridge.
Yoghurt and probiotics
Nutritionists say that a cup of yoghurt per day is just enough when it comes to your probiotic intake. Probiotics fight bad bacteria and infections, and they also enable proper digestion.
Store-bought yoghurt is rich in probiotics as well, but making your own yoghurt is the only way to be sure that your product is made from raw, organic milk, and of course, you get more probiotics.
Use your free time to make yoghurt, because it sure pays off. Recent research has shown that regular consumption of yoghurt is associated with a healthy gastrointestinal tract and strong immune system.
Having a cup of yoghurt instead of your regular processed snack means that you get a healthy portion of protein, probiotics, vitamins and minerals. These are even more powerful when you take things in your own hands and make your own yoghurt. You would not put preservatives and chemicals in your cup of yoghurt, right?
How to make yoghurt at home?
It is one of the easiest things on Earth, so there is no reason to spend your money on the commercial-made product. Homemade yoghurt is especially beneficial for children, as it increases their nutritional intake and they will not ingest the sugars that are commonly added to commercial yoghurt.
First, let’s get you through the ingredients and the items you need:
- 2 tbsp. yoghurt (use organic, sugar-free product)
- 1 quart raw and organic milk, preferably goat’s milk
- A food-grade thermometer
- A bath towel
- 4-quart saucepan
- 1 quart-size Mason jar
- An ice cube tray
- A Wire whisk
- An electric heating pad
Once you have these prepared, you are ready to start. We promise – you will never ever buy yoghurt again. Here are a few detailed instructions:
- Heat up the milk in the saucepan. Be careful, you do not need any scorching in this process. Let the milk boil slowly.
- Pour it into the Mason jar and let its temperature drop down to 110°. Use the thermometer for this purpose.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of your starter yoghurt, and close the jar.
- Wrap it in the heating pad, then wrap the towel around it.
- Leave it like this for 7-10 hours. The heating pad should be turned ‘on.’
- Take the jar off the pad, and store it in the fridge.
- Let the yoghurt rest overnight. In the morning you will notice how the yoghurt has gained the right consistency and texture. Yes, you can eat it at this point. Add in fruits or spice of your choice to enhance its flavor. Be careful, you should add the fruit chunks in every individual serving, otherwise there is a huge risk of contamination.
Source: Healthy Food House