Beets are considered as really special vegetables. No matter if they are consumed raw or cooked they have an ability to keep their nutritional value.
Even in ancient times, beets were seen as a medical plant and Hippocrates was the one who recognized their potential. For many centuries, beets were used for treating many health issues. They were mostly used for treating blood disorders such as anemia (iron deficiency) because they are rich in iron.
Despite the known iron content of garlic, they are the second vegetables with such rich iron content. Beets can stimulate your metabolism and provide your body with essential nutrients and powerful antioxidants, which are commonly contained in red beets.
Beets have many healing properties and these are the reasons why you should include them in your diet:
- Beets contain betalains and polyphenols which have reversed effect on the oxidative stress and free radical in people.
- Beets contain many minerals: magnesium which will improve the health of your bones, potassium, and folate which will boost the health of your heart, copper which destroys free radicals, iron and phosphorus which are responsible for the production of energy, iodine which is a part of the biosynthesis of thyroid hormones.
- Beets contain numerous vitamins including PP, B complex vitamins which strengthen capillary walls.
- Beets have betalain pigments which can remove the toxins from the body.
- Beets can promote the formation of vitamin B12 due to their cobalt content. And, this vitamin and folic acid are essential for the formation of red blood cells.
- Beets contain betacyanins which can prevent the growth of cancer cells.
- Beets contain dietary fiber which has the ability to improve digestion.
- The folic acid in beets can rejuvenate the body, thus contributing to the creation of new cells.
- Beets help digest vitamin D in the body.
- Beets can prevent dementia because of their high concentration of nitrates which are transformed in the mouth into nitrites. Many studies have confirmed that nitrites can open up the blood vessels in the body, thus increasing the blood flow and helping oxygen to get to those areas that lack oxygen.
- Beets contain pectin which can eliminate the radioactive and heavy metals from the body. Furthermore, pectin inhibits the spreading of harmful intestinal bacteria and prevents the developing of numerous diseases.
Moreover, beets can provide an anti-sclerotic effect, lower the blood pressure and cholesterol, improve the function of brain and liver and strengthen capillary vessels.
Source: Weekly Healthy Life