Proper detoxification is essential for the function of every organ in your body. It is a thorough process that eliminates harsh chemicals and toxins from the body. ‘Detox’ treatments have been performed for centuries.
They enjoy huge support by religious groups and philosophers, including Hippocrates, the father of Medicine.
Fasting and low-calorie diet slows down the metabolism. It is a form of starving that causes the loss of essential nutrients.
Improperly performed detoxification may cause nausea, fatigue, colon damage, dehydration and dizziness.
Detox systems in your body
Human body is designed to perform a detox on its own. Its natural detox system is comprised of the colon, kidneys and liver.
1. The bacteria in your colon regulates the production of healthy and unhealthy chemicals. The main role of this organ is to remove the toxins before they get inside the body and harm the system.
2. Kidneys purify blood and flush out toxins through the urinary tract.
3. Your liver is the main defensive organ in the body. It keeps toxins away from your bloodstream.
Some foods can support your detox treatment more than others. In this article we give you a detox program created by Dr Oz. It involves the aforementioned organs and enhances their function. The 2-day program consists of preparing and enjoying specific meals and snacks.
1. Breakfast (Prunes and quinoa)
Prunes provide enough fiber and sorbitol. Quinoa is high in phosphorus, fiber and protein. The combination of these two represents an excellent kick-start for the day.
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1/3 cup prunes, chopped
- 1/4 cup rice milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 tbsp flaxseed oil
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated
Combine your quinoa, nutmeg, and water in a small pot. Cook for additional 10 minutes after the mixture boils. Add in some chopped prunes and rice milk. Put the lid on, and cook for 5 minutes. At the very end, add healthy flaxseed oil and your breakfast is ready.
2. Detox snacks and drinks
Bromelain in pineapples enhances digestion. Kale stimulates a healthy detox of your kidneys, and ginger improves your bile flow.
- 1/2 cup pineapple
- a bunch kale, stems removed
- 1/4 inch ginger root
- 2 large cucumbers
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup mint
Juice the ingredients and you are ready to serve.
3. Detox drink – Pomegranate, Lemon, and Pineapple
- 1 cup fresh pomegranate juice, unsweetened
- 3/4 cup juice, unsweetened
- 1 lemon
- 3 cups water
Combine the ingredients in a pitcher. These amounts give you 4 cups for the day.
4. Veggie snack
- fresh lemon juice
- olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
Slice and chop your veggies. Drizzle over some fresh lemon juice and olive oil. Season to taste.
This is a healthier version of most salads, and you can eat as much as you want throughout the day.